While flowers and chocolate are popular ways for couples to say “I love you”, there’s one thing they appreciate even more: taking trips together. According to the results of a US Travel Association survey, romantic couples who go on couples’ getaways have healthier, happier relationships compared to those who do not1.
And no surprise: whether it’s relaxing at a couples’ resort in Costa Rica or snuggling up under the stars in the Finnish wilderness, travelling as a romantic couple is one of the most enjoyable ways to experience the world. Below are some of the key findings and the impacts of travel on relationships, plus two ways travel insurance can help love couples look out for each other during trips together.
1) Travel has long-term benefits for couples
Love couples who travel together to couples resorts or other destinations on their couples’ bucket list, are significantly more satisfied with their relationship than romantic couples who don’t. Those who do take trips together indicated greater levels of romance (86%), closeness (94%), quality time (84%) and communication (84%) than couples who do not take trips together.
2) Travel helps build and maintain relationships
Couples vacations have positive effects that can help love couples grow stronger and stay together long-term. Survey respondents cited sharing new experiences (79%), taking a break from normal routines (78%) as well as talking and reconnecting (72%) as some of the benefits of couples vacations for their relationship.
3) Travel ignites romance and intimacy
There is a positive correlation between high relationship satisfaction and using travel to improve romance. In all, 65% of survey respondents were very satisfied with their relationships and believed that romantic couples’ trips together are important for sparking romance. Additionally, 77% of respondents who go on couples’ getaways reported having a good sex life, 14% more than couples who do not travel together.
As couples consider the advantages of travelling together, they also need to plan for what they would do if one or the other person got sick or injured before or during their trip together. Since the romantic couple’s travel experience will be a shared one, it’s even more important to protect themselves and their investment with help from a good travel insurance plan.
1) Valuable emergency protection is available for two adults travelling together and insured on one policy. For example, an annual medical plan can offer romantic couples an easy, convenient and safe way to help complete their couples’ bucket list. Because coverage applies to an unlimited number of trips, subject to a maximum trip length limit, within a policy year, love couples can enjoy travelling together over and over again during couples’ getaways within that time.
2) A closer look at the wording in travel insurance policies may reveal that many travel protection benefits apply to an insured travelling companion in addition to the primary traveller named on the policy. For example if one or the other person in the romantic couple gets sick or injured during a couples’ vacation, benefits can help cover expenses the other traveller incurs such as meals and commercial accommodations, return transportation, and more.
Please note that travel insurance does not cover everything. For full details on these and other benefits, please refer to the terms and conditions of the selected policy.
Get a quote today!
I am a...
Or call us at 1-844-310-1578to speak with
Travel insurance does not cover everything. Please refer to the policy wording for full terms and conditions, including limitations and exclusions. Travel insurance is underwritten by CUMIS General Insurance Company, a member of The Co-operators Group of Companies and administered by Allianz Global Assistance. Allianz Global Assistance is a registered business name of AZGA Service Canada Inc. and AZGA Insurance Agency Canada Ltd. Please note that remuneration may be payable to the distributor of this insurance.
Rates are subject to change.