It’s comforting to know that your travel insurance plan will be there for you when you need it. Whether it’s a vacation, a business trip, or a weekend shopping spree, you can rely on valuable travel insurance benefits so you can enjoy a worry-free get away. And if something sudden and unforeseen does occur, you’ll know exactly how your benefits work.
When it comes to educating yourself about travel insurance, it’s helpful to understand and differentiate between the key benefits that are typically included in travel insurance plans. This will allow you to consider which risks are important to you so you can choose the right coverage for your travel needs.
Depending on which travel insurance plan you choose, options will generally include either one, a combination of, or all of the benefits below.
Note that the benefits described reflect those offered by Allianz Global Assistance on this site and do not represent all travel insurance offerings in general.
In case you become sick or injured on your trip…
- Emergency Medical and Dental: Beyond helping with unexpected costs related to medical emergencies, this benefit provides coverage for emergency medical transportation to get you to the nearest appropriate medical facility or back to Canada or your home country. If you are hospitalized, there are also benefits to bring a friend or family member to your bedside, help return your dependents back home, and for meals and accommodations if you are stuck in hospital beyond your original return date.
- Plans offered by Allianz Global Assistance with benefits for Emergency Medical and Dental include:
- Medical + Cancellation Plan
- Medical Plan
- Annual Medical Plan (10 or 30 Day)
- Visitors to Canada Plan
In case you need to cancel your trip before you leave…
- Trip Cancellation: If you need to cancel your trip due to a Covered Reason before your scheduled departure date, Trip Cancellation benefits provide reimbursement for non-refundable trip payments and deposits you paid for in advance of your departure date.
- In case you need to return early or get delayed beyond your original return date
- Trip Interruption/Delay: Sometimes trips start on time but then end prematurely. This benefit is activated when you are on your trip and need to come home early due to unexpected illness, forces of nature or other Covered Reasons as listed in your policy. The benefit provides reimbursement for transportation costs to return home as well as unused, pre-paid trip arrangements. Additionally, if your return from your trip is delayed due to a covered reason, this benefit provides coverage for commercial accommodation and meals, essential telephone calls, internet usage fees, and taxi fares up to the benefit dollar limit.
- In case your bags are lost or stolen…
- Lost or Stolen Baggage: If your baggage is lost or stolen during your trip, this benefit reimburses you for the value of your personal items you’ve lost up to a specified dollar limit.
- In case your bags are delayed…
- Baggage Delay: When you make it to your destination but your luggage doesn’t, this benefit includes reimbursement of your out-of-pocket expenses for purchasing reasonable necessities, such as clothing and toiletries, until your bag arrives.
- In case you need help while travelling…
- 24-Hour Emergency Assistance: Getting real-time help when you’re in a jam is invaluable, especially if you don’t speak the local language. This support can include arranging for hospital care, evacuations for medical emergencies, help with replacing lost or stolen documents, and more.
Plans offered by Allianz Global Assistance with benefits for Trip Cancellation, Interruption and Delay, as well as Lost, Stolen or Delayed Baggage, include:
This list is by no means exhaustive, and each benefit type described will have its own unique conditions that outline which situations are covered, and which are not. As always, the best way to fully appreciate how a travel insurance plan can help you is by reading the policy wording for the plan that is most suitable to your travel needs.
Still have questions about what travel insurance covers and how benefits work? Simply call Allianz Global Assistance at 1-844-310-1578 and we’ll be happy to assist with any questions you have.