The most touted reason for travel insurance is related to health. Medical emergencies can happen to anyone, regardless of your age, destination, or length of trip. When it comes to one’s health, money is no object – but the reality is, obtaining emergency medical care away from home can be very costly.
Many Canadians are still surprised to learn that their provincial health insurance plan does not extend to out-of-country medical care. In reality, your provincial or territorial health plan covers only a very small portion of the costs (if any) for medical care you receive while abroad. It’s for this reason that the Government of Canada recommends securing travel insurance with medical benefits before you leave on a trip.
In the midst of a medical emergency, you certainly shouldn’t be thinking about the costs, the bills, or saving money. With adequate travel medical insurance, you can instead focus on recovering and getting back home as quickly and safely as possible.
- Do you know what the costs of medical care abroad might be?
- Would you be able to pay for medical care in the US, Europe or Asia on your own?
- What if your medical emergency is so serious that you require an air ambulance to bring you back to Canada?
- Could a family member afford to travel overseas to stay by your hospital bedside?
Whether an outpatient visit or finding yourself admitted to a hospital, financial losses related to medical emergencies abroad can be significant and drain your and your family’s resources. Travel insurance plans with medical benefits can help protect you against these risks.
While the coverage for unexpected medical costs might be the first advantage that comes to mind, many travellers overlook the invaluable assistance benefits that Medical Plans can provide including but not limited to:
- Referrals to medical providers
- Monitoring the quality of your care
- Communicating with your treating physician at your destination as well as your primary physician at home
- Arranging for medical escorts or an air ambulance to bring home, and more.
- Would you know where to go to seek medical assistance when you’re travelling?
- Would you be able to navigate your way through a foreign healthcare system without knowing the language?
- How would you know if the medical care you or a loved one was receiving was adequate?
- What if your medical condition were such that you needed treatment from specialists other than a primary care physician?
As a parent, spouse, partner or adult child, you’d never want to be placed in a difficult situation, having to consider so many things at once. Unfortunately, this is often the reality in a medical emergency.
Travel insurance with medical benefits can help take the guess work out of these scenarios by providing you with 24/7 emergency assistance and the benefits to manage and contain the costs that result from treatment. It also provides you the comfort of knowing you have a solid “Plan B” in the event that things take a sudden and unexpected turn.
Travel insurance plans offered by Allianz Global Assistance which provide Canadian residents with emergency medical benefits include:
Emergency medical coverage is also the core benefit in the Visitors to Canada Plans offered by Allianz Global Assistance.
Once you’ve determined the plan for your trip, be sure to review the details of your coverage and policy wording to ensure you understand what is and isn’t covered. As always, Allianz Global Assistance is here to answer your questions, explain your coverage options and assist you with the purchase of your plan. Simply call us at 1-844-310-1578.